Queenie Pinot Grigio 2019

Queenie Pinot Grigio 2019

$21.00

Our nonna arrived in Adelaide by boat from Italy in 1935 and we have named this wine after her in celebration of her life and the values that continue to influence our growing families.

This Italian-style wine is produced with love and shows all the hallmarks of a traditional Italian Pinot Grigio; fresh, crisp and convivial, it has flavours of crunchy nashi pear, orange blossom and quince.

It is excellent company with a variety of foods, particularly during the warmer months.

Categories: , ,

  • Tasting Notes
  • Vintage Notes
  • Winemaking Notes
  • Accolades
  • Wine Analysis
  • Reviews (0)

Grown on a south-western facing slope atop the Longview estate, this Pinot Grigio shows all the hallmarks of a traditional Italian style. The nose is overflowing with nashi pear and white blossom notes. The palate is crisp and dry with delicate green apple fruit, bright acidity and a textural finish.

2019 vintage came with substantial challenges including lower rainfall by approximately 40% and one of the hottest summer periods on record; yet we managed to process some exceptional fruit. Early shoot thinning was performed on 80% of the vineyard to ensure yields and canopy density was kept to a minimum due to early disease pressure. This resulted in canopies which handled the extreme dry and hot conditions during the ripening period and hence flavour development was not compromised. The flowering period was exposed to excessive weather conditions like hail and excessive windy wet periods. In some varieties, we saw up to 50% crop loss mainly due to poor set. Across our 65-hectare vineyard, yields were down by approximately 20% at harvest.

For this vintage, Pinot Grigio was harvested from two blocks; D1V7 clone was used and made up approximately 75% of the blend and for the first time the remaining 25% was harvested from our young plantings of ENTAV 547 clone. Both blocks were spur pruned to low bud numbers and shoot thinned early followed by a bunch thin at veraison to remove any variability for even fruit ripening. Due to the challenging conditions through flowering yields were significantly affected in both blocks. As the weather conditions were hot and dry, the light yields were a blessing as flavour development and acid retention was exceptional in both patches. All the fruit was hand harvested on the 20th of February at a 11.6 Baume.

At the winery, the fruit was crushed, chilled and pressed immediately. 100% underwent a cool ferment in stainless steel to preserve the wine’s fruit purity; this was followed by slight lees stirring and finally cold stabilisation.

2018 Queenie Pinot Grigio

Bronze Medal – 2018 Royal Melbourne Wine Awards

Silver Medal – 2018 Royal Queensland Wine Show

Regan Drew, Vino Notebook Rating: 17/20 “A very faint peach blush though the colour. Fragrant blossom with orange zest, green pear drops, cream and just turning blueberries. Well textured through the front and mid palate, having good persistence and maintaining fresh fruit balance. Light orange rind and crisp brown pear with frangipani and light stonefruit to close. A delicate finish of medium length.”

2017 Queenie Pinot Grigio

Top Gold – 2017 Royal Melbourne Wine Awards

18/20 – Regan Drew. “Named for the Saturno family’s Grandmother, affectionately known as Queenie. All stainless steel fermentation and stylistically keeping to Grigio with very little blush colour. Evocative of a Nonna too: white flowers, dusky musk, baking spices and of course, varietal pear. It’s crisp, it’s clean and just a little bit round. Cumquat orangey stuff, green apple zing and ripe pear fruit. More than a one dimensional “crisp white” this has layer upon layer of flavour that persist long. Difficult to fault.”

Bronze Medal – 2017 Australian Small Winemakers Show

Bronze Medal – 2017 Perth Royal Wine Show

Bronze Medal – 2017 Sydney Royal Wine Show

Blend 100% Pinot Grigio
Alcohol 12%
Residual Sugar 0.3 g/L
pH 3.32
Total Acidity 6.51 g/L

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.


Be the first to review “Queenie Pinot Grigio 2019”

You've just added this product to the cart: